This Was a Surprise

It has been said that God is a God of surprises.  The way my mom tells it, each of her five kids were little surprises from God.  We’ve had a little surprise come our way as well.  (No, Diane’s not pregnant!)  I don’t know if it is the pandemic or our advancing age on the backside of our sixties.  It’s been over sixteen years since we moved away from our family and we are saddened as we watch our grandchildren and one great-grandchild grow up without us being there.  Next month our great-grandson will be two years old and I’ve never held him or spoken directly to him.  We began to wonder if we could make it in this role for the next three years or if that would even be the best way to spend those years of our life.  A pastor needs to remember that his family is his first line of ministry and it sometimes seems like I’ve been negligent.  So, Diane and I began to wonder and pray if God wasn’t leading me to retire from local church ministry and seek some sort of work closer to our kids. 

About a month ago, I began to do some searching in the Sioux City area and Omaha, which is not too far from where they live.  God seemed to be directing me in applying for chaplain jobs, which surprisingly, I found quite a few listings in both places.  Two weeks ago, yesterday, I applied for a hospice chaplain position near Omaha.  I had never considered becoming a chaplain, but as I thought about it, God began to birth in me a new sense of direction in ministry through hospice.  In less than a week, I was offered the position.  Diane and I had been laboring in prayer over the issue and had seen his fingerprints all over this development.  When I got the call, I told them yes.  In a beautiful stroke of God’s affirmation, I received an offer for another chaplain position which I turned down. 

Our last Sunday with you will be January 9.  God has done good work in us since July of 2017 when I arrived and I know that I am privileged to have been your pastor.  I’ll have much more to say in the coming days to celebrate God’s work among us and to share my perspective and heart for you for the future.  Separations in ministry are hard.  The nature of a pastor’s relationship with a congregation is love and affection and that certainly is the case with Diane and me for you.  Between now and then, I will fulfill my role as pastor and do all that I can to assist you to take the first steps in the journey ahead. 

With great affection, in Christ,

Pastor Bob Myers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Find Jokes About Worship Music Very Funny

Should the Church Accommodate Its Worship to the Culture?

Embracing Conflict in the Church