Marriage as a Sacrament



I don’t know about your FaceBook feed, but mine has been filled with wedding anniversary announcements virtually every day of this month.  It is June, after all, and that’s when a lot of folks tie the knot with winter in the rear-view mirror and the joys of summer living just ahead.  I’ve seen ten-year, fifteen-year, up to fifty-five-year celebrations.  And we should celebrate.  A good marriage takes a good deal of work.

Roman Catholics call marriage a “sacrament.”  I’m a Baptist and we’re not supposed to be sacramental.  But general Baptist distinctives can sometimes be difficult to define because freedom of individual conscience is one of our deepest held values.  I’m with the Catholics on this one.  Of course, as a Protestant, I probably define sacrament a bit different than my Catholic brethren.  No need to quibble.  Along with the Catholics, I see God actively working smack dab in the middle of Christian marriage.  

In general terms, I define a sacrament as a “physical means of God’s grace.”  In the context of marriage, I have to say, “Indeed, it is!”  There is probably no other factor that has had more transformational impact in my life than my marriage to my wife, Diane.  That is not to belittle my own private devotions and corporate church life.  But my devotional life has often been impacted by the issues and dynamics of my marital life.  As for church life, Diane has been my longsuffering partner in ministry for nearly four decades.  And through it all and in it all, Christ has always been at the center. 

Oh, there’ve been some tough times.  The “D-word” has crossed both our minds at times, but it has quickly passed because we are both first committed to Christ and obedience to him even before our commitment to each other.  There’ve been good times, too.  Gratefully, they outnumber the tough times.  But through it all, we have both changed dramatically for the better.  You can’t hide in a marriage.  When I’m a jerk, she knows about it.  So does God.  And neither of them lets me get away with it.  I’m grateful for that.  It’s made me a much better man.  And so it goes throughout life.  I know that I’ll continue to be transformed for the better until the day that I die. Sure, I have to choose.  The Holy Spirit gives me the power to change.  And Diane is frequently the catalyst in it all.  That’s God’s grace flowing to me through the conduit of my relationship with my wife. It’s a “physical means of God’s grace.”  A sacrament.

In the marriage rite from the Book of Common Prayer, we read these well-known words, “The union of husband and wife in heart, body, and mind is intended by God for their mutual joy; for the help and comfort given one another in prosperity and adversity; and when it is God’s will, for the procreation of children and their nurture in the knowledge and love of the Lord. Therefore, marriage is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently, deliberately, and in accordance with the purposes for which it was instituted by God.”  Forty years ago today (June 22), Diane and I pledged ourselves to each other, “for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until we are parted by death.”  And I thank God that he has been the center of our marriage, changing us both for the better, until that day when we see him face to face.  

Happy Anniversary, my Love!

Comments

  1. Happy anniversary, to both of you! I love the way you ended your article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pastor what an encouraging post on " Marriage as a Scrament". While going through your blog post I was reminded of my marriage almost 40 yrs ago still some few months to go. On 4th October 1079 I got married with my wife and the Lord still continue to teach us to be better husband and wife. I have thoroughly enjoyed your post. Wishing you a very happy marriage anniversary and may the Lord add many more years to your married life and as you continue to journey to gether may you continue to touch and blessed many newly married couples. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs int his great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We encourge yuong and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your University where you teach to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. God willing I will be coming to the United States and will be so glad to stop by your town and meet you to see how the Lord lead us. Looking forward to hear from you, My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diwakar,
      Thank you for your very kind words and may God continue to bless you and your wife in your marriage and your work for the Kingdom. I no longer work for a university but rather I am a pastor of a small church in the Midwest USA. I appreciate your invitation and know a little bit about Mumbai and its great social contrasts. Unfortunately, I am no longer in a position to travel for ministry.
      God bless,
      Bob

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Find Jokes About Worship Music Very Funny

Should the Church Accommodate Its Worship to the Culture?

Embracing Conflict in the Church